Trump Warns Syrian Government Against Operation in Idlib Province

US President Donald Trump warned the Syrian government as well as Russia and Iran against the Syrian army’s possible offensive in the rebel-held province of Idlib.

“President Bashar al-Assad of Syria must not recklessly attack Idlib Province. The Russians and Iranians would be making a grave humanitarian mistake to take part in this potential human tragedy. Hundreds of thousands of people could be killed. Don’t let that happen!” Trump wrote on his Twitter page on Monday.

Idlib province is one of Syria’s de-escalation zones and a remaining stronghold of insurgency in the country. The situation in the province has recently escalated with Moscow and Damascus suggesting that militants are planning to stage a false-flag chemical attack against civilians there to frame the Syrian government.

Previously, Syrian President Bashar Assad said that the liberation of Idlib province was among the priorities for the Syrian military’s operations.

Meanwhile, Syrian Foreign minister Walid Muallem said in an interview that the warnings by the United States would not affect the “determination of the Syrian people and Syrian army’s plans to clear Idlib and finally put an end to terrorism in Syria,” adding that the accusations by Washington about alleged plans regarding chemical attacks have become questionable in the eyes of public opinion.

Sputnik